Committees can be the lifeblood of an association. They can be the best thing since sliced cheese or your worst night mare. I was contemplating why some committees are a blessing while others are a curse and came to the decision it’s really all about the board that set up the committee. If you want a successful committee then you should:
- Be careful about who you appoint to a committee.
- Make sure a board member is involved in every committee to some extent.
- Make sure the committee is required to provide regular reports to the board.
- Adopt a charter for each committee that identify the purpose and authority of the committee.
If you want a committee from “you know where”, then you should:
- Create committees that make more work for your manager.
- Create committees that are too large.
- Treat committee members as outsiders.
- Have a rule or create an impression that committee membership will lead to board election.
For more information on committees read our article.