New landlord tenant legislation has been introduced in the Colorado legislature in the form of Senate Bill 12-070. The legislation proposes to enact the Uniform Residential Landlord and Tenant Act and includes provisions concerning:
- Disclosure obligations of landlords.
- Reduced time frames in which a landlord must return a security deposit.
- The effect of unsigned rental agreements.
- A landlord’s ability to include limitations of liability in a rental agreement.
- Maintenance responsibilities of the landlord and tenant.
- Limitations on a landlord’s ability to adopt rules concerning the leased premises.
We will continue to monitor this proposed legislation and its potential impact on landlords, tenants, and residential lease agreements. If you would like more information regarding landlord/tenant issues, please contact our Business Law Group partner, David A. Closson at [email protected].